It’s that time of the year. Everybody is coming out about what they think was the best of the best from 2014 (speaking of, keep your eye on CKUT’s music blog Total Eclipse). We wanted to add our voices to the cacophony, but we have a hard time being hierarchical about these types of things. Who’s to say what is ‘best’ and what is not, anyway?
Plus, you’ll notice that our categories are far from exhaustive. In fact, they are kind of all over the place. Deal with it. Favouritism does not work categorically. Some categories have more favourite things than others. Again, deal with it.
Anyway, here is a pile of our favourite things, i.e. the best in our hearts. Dig in to 2014 before it washes away.
Our Favourite Theatre Companies
- Why Not Theatre Company (Minh-Tam Thompson)
- Mainline Theatre
- Teesri Duniya
- Tuesday Night Cafe Theatre
Our Favourite Plays
*All the credit goes to Minh-Tam Thompson for this section.
Our Favourite Festivals
- Suoni Per Il Popolo
- Howl! Arts Festival
- Slut Island
- Wildside Theatre Festival
- Pop Montreal
- Rencontres Internationales du Documentaire de Montréal
Our Favourite (PHENOMENOLOGICAL) Films
All the credit to our talented and prolific blogger James Oscar for this section. Check out the unabridged version of this list, with full commentary by James, tomorrow on Deep Kuts!
- Still the Water, by Naomi Kawase
- Memphis, by Tim Sutton
- Before We Go, by Jorge Leon
- Ce Qu’il Reste de la Folie, by Joris Lachaise
- The World of Kanako, by Tetsuya Nakashima
- JODOROSKY’S Dune, Directed by Frank Pavich (made 2013 release 2014)
Our Favourite Conferences
Our Favourite Literary Magazines